Questions and Answers
What are orthotics?
Orthotics are custom made devices worn in your shoes. Orthotics realign your step, protect, support and improve the function of your feet, ankles and back.
Will orthotics fit in all of my shoes?
Orthotics can be built for any shoe with a removable footbed, however, proper fit and function of the footwear will impact the effectiveness of the orthotic.
How are orthotics made? – Start to Finish
All of our orthotics are fabricated on-site
- Discussion of condition / symptoms
- Gait analysis
- Footwear evaluation
- Impression of foot is taken – Negative to positive – in the neutral position
- Pick up appointment is booked for 7 to 10 days later
- The plaster is mixed and poured into the negative impression – creating a positive mold.
- Once the plaster hardens it is broken away from the remaining biofoam
- The plaster is then set to dry for 2 days
- Once dried, the plaster is sanded to remove the rough edges
- The plaster molds are placed in a vacuum press
- Orthotic materials are then heated and placed on the mold and pressed individually
- Once the final posting layer is pressed onto the mold the orthotics is set aside to cool
- After 24 hours of drying, the orthotics are trimmed.
The density of the materials used will depend upon the particular requirements of the patient. When the clients pick up their orthotics they are given their plaster molds. If the client would like to have an additional pair of orthotics we can use the same plaster mold – By doing this we are able to save a step and therefore save money for both clients and insurance companies.
Do Orthotics have to be broken in ? How long does it take to get use to them?
Yes, orthotics generally have a two week break in period. Start by wearing them a little each day. If they start to hurt take them off for the rest of the day. For 2 weeks, the wear time and comfort level will vary. After 2 weeks of wearing the orthotics everyday they should be comfortable. If not, simply call the office and make an appointment, we will be glad to adjust them for you at no charge.
How long do orthotics last?
Orthotics compress and wear out over time. Your weight and activity level affect the life of your orthotics. Generally, you will know when they need to be replaced as your symptoms may begin to re-appear. Generally, orthotics should be replaced every 2-3 years. Children and adolescents need their orthotics replaced more frequently. Their orthotics should be replaced when their feet grow 1-2 shoe sizes.
Can orthotics be repaired?
The life of your orthotics can be extended by repairing/replacing the top cover, metatarsal pads, extensions, cushioning, posting, etc. The cost of the repair will be determined by the extent of the repair.
How much do orthotics cost?
Our Custom Made Orthotics currently cost $295.00 per pair. They are fabricated in-house, and we use top quality materials.
What do I need to bring to my appointment?
- Prescription/Referral from your doctor
- A pair of ankle socks
- Your existing footwear – all of the shoes that you wear on a regular basis – work shoes, sneakers, casual shoes, winter boots, sandals, etc.
- $40.00 deposit/assessment fee – this fee will be credit towards the total price of the orthotics (cash, debit, visa, mastercard).